To promote sustainable practises, the Department of Fisheries has sanctioned 732
artificial reef units for 10 coastal states as a sub-activity under the “Integrated Modern
Coastal Fishing Villages” of Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).
- Artificial Reefs (AR) is a manmade structure that may mimic some of the characteristics
of a natural reef.
- These are engineering technology interventions used to rehabilitate and/or improve
natural habitats, increase productivity, and manage aquatic resources, including habitat
enhancement (FAO, 2015).
- Materials used to construct artificial reefs have included rocks, cinder blocks, and even
wood and old tyres, which come in an infinite number of shapes and styles.
- The pr”jects are being implemented with the technical support of the Fisheries Survey of
India (FSI) and ICAR-Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI).
Advantages of AR:
- It boosts marine biodiversity.
- It encourages fish population growth.
- It reduces pressure on natural reefs.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- It is a flagship scheme for focused and sustainable development of the fisheries sector in
the country, with an estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crores for its implementation
during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories.
- It aims at enhancing fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonnes by 2024-25.
- Increasing fisheries export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crore by 2024-25.
- Doubling the incomes of fishers and fish farmers, reducing post-harvest losses from 20-
Norman E. Borlaug Award
- Indian agriculture scientist Swati Nayak won the prestigious Norman E. Borlaug Award
- Norman E. Borlaug Award recognises exceptional scientists under 40 and someone who
works in the field of food and nutrition security and hunger eradication.
- It Is given in memory of the Nobel awardee and Green Revolution’s chief architect Dr
- The award will honour an individual who is working closely and directly “in the field” or
at the production or processing level with farmers, animal herders, fishers or others in
rural communities in any discipline or enterprise across the entire food production,
processing, and distribution chain.
- The award diploma incorporates the image of Dr. Borlaug at work in the fields of Mexico
and a cash prize of $10,000.
- It is endowed by the Rockefeller Foundation and will be presented every October in Des
Moines, Iowa, by the World Food Prize Foundation.