Skip to content
- A 61-year-old French tourist recently died inside the Fatehpur Sikri fort after
she fell from a nine-feet-high platform following the collapse of a wooden
- Fatehpur Sikri is a city predominantly in red sandstone, situated at a
distance of 37 km from Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
- It was founded in 1569 by the great Mughal emperor Akbar, and from 1571
to 1585, Fatehpur Sikri was the capital of the Mughal Empire.
- The Mughal capital was moved to Delhi in 1586 because of Fatehpur Sikri’s
inadequate water supply.
- It was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1986.
- The structures in Fatehpur Sikri combine elements of Persian, Indian, and
Central Asian styles.
- The structures are made primarily of red sandstone, which gives the city its
- It is enclosed by an 11 km long fortification wall interspersed with