The 2018 Commonwealth Games, is an international multi-sport event for members of the Commonwealth, officially known as the XXI Commonwealth Games and commonly known as Gold Coast 2018, is currently being held on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, between 4 and 15 April 2018. There are 71 nations challenging each other at 2018 Commonwealth Games.
The Commonwealth Games at the Gold Coast is upon us. Historically, the CWG has been India’s favourite hunting ground in the international arena and serves as a platform for Olympic preparation.
Since the inception of the games in 1930, India has won 436 medals with nearly half of these medals coming in the last three games. India’s most successful games were in 2010 at New Delhi, hauling in 101 medals across disciplines and finishing second on the medals tally for the first and only time so far.
In Gold Coast 2018, India’s account for gold/silver/bronze medals tally till now in various competitions is listed below:
Gold Medal Winners:
- Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu was the first gold medal winner for India, on the opening day, in the women’s 48 kg category.
- Weightlifter Sanjita Chanu landed India its second gold medal, winning the top spot in the women’s 53kg category.
- Weightlifter Satish Kumar Sivalingam won India’s third gold in the men’s 77kg category.
- Weightlifter Venkat Rahul Ragala became the fourth Indian to claim a gold medal in the men’s 85 kg category.
- Weightlifter Punam Yadav became the third woman to win gold for India, coming out on top in the women’s 69 kg category at the CWG 2018.
- In 10m women’s air pistol, Manu Bhaker won gold and added sixth gold for India at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- In the women’s table tennis event, the Indian team won its first ever Commonwealth gold medal.
- In the 10m men’s air pistol event, India’s Jitu Rai won gold. This is his second Commonwealth gold.
Silver medal is bagged by many competitors in commonwealth games 2018 for India:
- Weightlifter P Gururaja opened India’s medal account on the first competition day, claiming a silver in the men’s 56kg category.
- In 10m women’s air pistol, Heena Sidhu won the silver and added second silver for India at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- In the 105 category weightlifting for men, Pradeep Singh won the silver.
- In the 10m men’s air pistol event Om Mitharval won silver.
- India’s Mehuli Ghosh won silver in the 10m women’s air rifle event.
Bronze medal are also in list and it gets by:
- Teenager Deepak Lather from Haryana became the youngest Indian weightlifter to claim a Commonwealth Games medal, clinching a bronze in the men’s 69kg category.
- Ravi Kumar settles for bronze in men’s 10m air rifle event at 21st Commonwealth Games.
- One more medal for weightlifting, Vikas Thakur added a shade of bronze to Indian weightlifters’ golden run at the Commonwealth Games, claiming the third position in the 94kg category by equalling his personal best.
- India’s Apurvi Chandela won bronze in the 10m women’s air rifle event.
Current Affairs by Simran IAS Coaching