The Union Cabinet approved this bill The DNA technology (use and application) regulation bill 2018. With the increase in crimes day by day and less conviction rate, the importance of DNA based technology for solving crimes and identify missing persons.
- Accuracy of DNA profiling
- DNA profiling Board and DNA Data bank for solving regulatory issues.
- Consent of the person is given due importance but not in every case. If magistrate approves the testing then person cannot deny.
- With written request on innocent person can remove his/her records from the database.
- Prohibition of the DNA profiles usage for creation and maintenance of population statistics databanks.
- Help in the support and strengthening of justice delivery system.
- Help in identification of missing person or dead body.
- Speedie justice delivery.
- Increased conviction rate
- Chances are low but wrong match lead to an innocent get punished so it cannot be considered ultimate or final.
- These privacy issues has not been addressed properly i.e it can violates our fundamental right- right to privacy.
- Misuse of database can also be there.
The bill will help in many aspects like speedy justice, identification of missing persons etc but there are also some negative aspects but these provisions used properly this will help our judiciary and good governance.